[YLUG] Upgrading best-practice

Paul Elliott omahns.home at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 20:18:58 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

On 8 June 2010 19:26, Stephen Patterson <steve at patter.me.uk> wrote:
> I've had a few successful debian upgrades by adding the new dist to
> /etc/apt/sources.list then running "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade"

If you're running Debian then that should work fine, if you're using
Ubuntu then you should use update manager rather than changing the apt
sources manually. For a headless machine you simply run:

do-release-upgrade

(This is from the update-manager-core package if not already installed
on your system)

It will perform a few safety checks and advise on what changes it will
be making, it will also list applications that are no longer
officially supported by Ubuntu once the upgrade is completed.

If you get stuck it would be useful to see what release you're
currently running by posting the output of the following command:

lsb_release -a

Thanks, Paul.

--
Paul Elliott (omahn)