[YLUG] svn common practice

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 12:27:47 UTC 2011

On 20 Jan 2011, at 12:12, Stephen Patterson wrote:

> If using svn and allowing for branching code, is it normal to keep your code
> in the repository root & create a branches directory within it, or is it
> more common to have only 'trunk' & 'branches' as folders in the repository
> root, with code in trunk and branches/*/  ?

The latter - root holds trunk, branches and tags

With the first arrangement, creating a new branch from the trunk is
tricky - you can't just copy /* into /branch/new_branch as it includes
all the existing branches...  Merging may be fun too

However from my point of view subversion is now just a legacy vcs -
probably used in corporates (if they ever moved off CVS or worse),
and the single master central repo does tend to match a corporate
mindset.  I tend to push everything into git.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.com ]