[YLUG] social tonight ? / Running Linux on an Acer Aspire 5551

ALEX ARMANI alex.armani at live.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 13:35:21 UTC 2011

I am up for going to my first LUG tonight, and have money for beers too for a change! Will be travelling from Scarborough so have to get last train home which is at about 10pm. What times do you usually start / finish? And where? I don't know York too well. How many of you will be attending today?
I've recently bought a laptop (Acer Aspire 5551 running Windows 7 Home Premium), from Cash Convertors, and whilst it is second hand, Cash Convertors have given it a 1 year warranty. They said though, that if I put Linux on it, it will void the warranty. Can they legally do that? I'm a bit wary of repartitioning it since I have no install disks, and it has a hidden partition which can be used to reinstall the factory settings.
Also I'm yet to manage to get a Live install to run. The Laptop doesn't seem to want to boot from the internal DVD drive at all, even when I change the settings in the bios), but it will boot off my external LightScribe (Does Linux support LightScribe?) DVD burner (if I hold down F12 to get to the boot menu after a reset) but ends up not working. Even the failsafe Debian on LXF. Does anybody have any experience running Linux on this Laptop?
Thanks, from Alex.
--
 Alex Armani - Digital Musician
+44 775 459 5449 - Www.Matrixism.Me.UK www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=513074140Add me to your Mafia Wars!