[YLUG] What''s the command to reinstall grub menu?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:32:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:34 AM, ALEX ARMANI <alex.armani at live.co.uk> wrote:
>  What''s the command to reinstall grub menu?
>
> Hi all. I need to reinstall my grub menu cos it's coming up with an error at
> boot. What's the command to use from a live disk to scan the hard drive for
> OS's and reinstall the Grub menu? You know what I mean! Tia from Alex &
> Genipher.xx

Usually (certainly in Fedora which I use) when you boot to a live or
rescue image, you need two commands:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda

(or whichever drive you want grub to be installed on)

For the next generation Fedoras, and presumably some other distros, if
you are using grub2, then grub2-install /dev/sda or equivalent should
do it.

This presumes that it is only that the mbr has been overwritten and
needs restoring.

I hope that helps.

--
mike c