[YLUG] LaTex and bibTeX with custom bibliography styles

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Thu Sep 22 18:46:56 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Just wondering if any of the LaTeX users on the list had any ideas
about this.  I've created a custom natbib style using "makebst", and
in it I have this:

%<<NUMBER OF AUTHORS:
%   %: (def) All authors included in listing
  nmlm,%: Limited authors (et al replaces missing names)
%------\ans=l(==nmlm)-------
%>>NUMBER OF AUTHORS:
    x2,%: Maximum of 2 authors
    m2,%: Minimum of 1 authors

This basically means that for any reference with more than 2 authors,
I get

Foo, A., Bar, B. et al.

instead of the full list.  However, this affects both the citation
in the text, and the entry in the bibliography at the end.  Ideally,
I only want the shortened form in the text, with the full author
list being present in the bibliography.

Is there any other means of restricting the number of authors in a
\cite{} or \citep{} without it also affecting the bibliography?
Perhaps an alternative or extension to natbib?

Thanks,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh