[YLUG] YSG Inaugural meeting

Steve Almond steve at silkAndSlug.com
Wed Feb 1 16:49:57 UTC 2012

> Sounds excellent to me, gutted I missed the meeting last night sounds
> like a fun one! Will there be a new YSG mailing list or will the YLUG
> one be used in the meantime?

There'll be a YSG mailing list, real soon.

PS: whoever suggested Google Apps is maybe a little out of date. It's
gone freemium: the free version appears to be limited to 10 users. I'm
looking at Google Groups for Domains (if there is such a thing!), else
it'll be Mailman after all.  :-/

> On 1 February 2012 16:08, Philip Morrell <lists at emorrp1.name
> <mailto:lists at emorrp1.name>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all, this is what happened at the social last night (with many,
>     many tangents):
>
>     York Software Group will fill the gap between professional/managerial
>     talks (BCS/IBM) and dev pub meets (YLUG/Geek Club). YSG will provide
>     hands-on guidance for professional software development in an
>     apprentice/journeyman/master style, by building upon the ideas of
>     agile programming and software craftsmanship. YSG will meet monthly,
>     with a quarterly cycle of paper/talk/dojo/(social?).
>
>     The first meeting is 7:45 for 8pm start, **Wed 29th Feb** at Fulford
>     Scout HQ. Beginning with two 10min talks (agile, software
>     craftsmanship) each with 5min Q&A before an 1hr paper development
>     exercise. We need a poster making for this event!
>
>     Liam, David, FuFu, Steve and I bought yorksoftwaregroup.org.uk
>     <http://yorksoftwaregroup.org.uk> to be
>     our web presence, initially hosting a wiki and a mailing list.
>     --
>     Philip Morrell
>
>     Actions:
>     * Steve to setup wiki, list, do SoftCrafts talk
>     * Dave to do agile talk
>     * Liam to make agile stick
>     * Phil to time-keep meeting
>     * X to make poster for advertising
>     * Y,Z to advertise to techie groups
>
>     List of techie York groups: GeekClub (1st Thu), HackSpace (Wed), YLUG
>     (Alt. Tue), HackSoc [CS staff, agileyorkshire, accu]
>     List of potential meeting places: Fulford Scout HQ, Fulford Cemetery
>     Lodge, Fulford School, York Uni
>     List of topic ideas: CPD, NHS proj (mega-proj failure), Mosquito
>     bomber (real-life agile), Time management (boxing, promodorar),
>     Version control (e.g. Git, Hg, branching model)

Yours,

Steve Almond
Web Developer

steve at SilkAndSlug.com | Skype: silkandslug
Tel: 07947 017 652 | 01904 466 833

SilkAndSlug.com : "Always Improving"