[YLUG] Agile Yorkshire - tomorrow

Steve Almond steve at silkAndSlug.com
Mon Jan 9 14:44:01 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm planning to drive to the below event /*tomorrow evening*/, and can
offer lifts to and/or from. It starts 6:30 in Leeds, so I'm thinking to
leave Fulford c.5:45.

Does anyone want to join me?

        10th January, An Extreme Hour
        <http://www.agileyorkshire.org/event-announcements/10thjanuaryanextremehour>

_Timeboxes_
*18:30* Networking And Lightning Talks - starting with /XP in 10 Slides/
*19:00* Kick Start Briefing
*19:30* Extreme Hour: GO!
*20:30* Retrospective
*21:00* Discussions at thepub

Kent Beck <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?KentBeck> published /Extreme
Programming Explained/ <http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kkMQKQEACAAJ>
over a decade ago but - reading the book again - it still seems fresh.
Extreme Programming <http://www.extremeprogramming.org/> (XP) is an
incremental
<http://alistair.cockburn.us/Incremental+versus+iterative+development>
agile <http://www.agile-process.org/> method
<http://martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html>, lighter than
Scrum or DSDM and with less ceremony, most useful for teams towards the
smaller end of the spectrum. In 2009, Capers Jones found
<http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CJd__8ANvtQC> XP to be one of the
key factors for success for projects in the 1000 Function Point scale
(with Agile and contemporary high-level languages). Time to take a look
again at XP, and dissect why - and when - it works.

For January 2012, Agile Yorkshire features anExtreme Hour
<http://c2.com/xp/ExtremeHour.html>: a one hour process miniature
<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ProcessMiniature>. In this hands-on exercise,
small teams will use XP to develop paper prototypes
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/paperprototyping/> for a mystery
product. No coding experience need, just a steady hand with pen and
scissors. An introduction to XP will be provided. The evening will end
with discussion reflecting on our experiences.

http://www.agileyorkshire.org/event-announcements/10thjanuaryanextremehour

--
Yours,

Steve Almond
Web Developer

steve at SilkAndSlug.com | Skype: silkandslug
Tel: 07947 017 652 | 01904 466 833

SilkAndSlug.com : "Always Improving"