[YLUG] Windows 8 and Ubuntu dual boot with Secure Boot?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:18:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Martin Rowe <dbg400.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> I have experience at failing to get it to work! This is with a Dell
> Inspiron 15R SE with Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04. Ubuntu wouldn't see that
> Windows was already installed, and If I did a side by side install I could
> only get into Windows by choosing it from the BIOS boot. Once it had booted
> it wiped the MBR which meant I couldn't get back into Ubuntu. I also tried
> with 12.10 and that didn't see Windows either. I switched between secure
> UEFI boot and the legacy option (which was fine for Ubuntu) but it made no
> difference to either OS recognising the other was installed.
>
> I decided to leave it until 13.04 is out and give it another go. In the
> meantime I've put VirtualBox on Windows and installed Ubuntu that way. That
> has worked out quite well as nearly everything I want to use it for on
> Linux works fine. The downside is that VirtualBox doesn't yet support USB
> 3.0, and my laptop only has USB 3.0 ports.
>
> If anyone does have a successful installation I'd like to hear about it
> too.
>
> Regards, Martin

It certainly seems that there is a lot of variation in experience that
different people have when starting down the UEFI route - when I began my
adventure it was on a machine that was to ultimately replace my main
desktop (actually a home build silent pc) but it took me several weeks
before I was comfortable with it- and being non-critical to get it working
in a hurry I spent a great deal of time on the forums and in fact I was
almost at the point of giving up entirely and re-installing based on legacy
boot when the author of rEFInd chipped in and offered a lot of very helpful
advice on how to set up my system which ultimately got me working. When it
works it is fantastic - and on kernel installs nothing manual is needed the
way I set my system up - but then it is a single boot system with no secure
boot making it a lot simpler than the system I originally asked about on
behalf of my friend who is trying to get dual boot with secure boot!

Hopefully over the next few days someone will chip in.....

--
mike c