[YLUG] Windows 8 and Ubuntu dual boot with Secure Boot?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 20:19:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Charles Forsyth
<charles.forsyth at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 4 April 2013 19:18, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When [UEFI] works it is fantastic -
>

> Ah. Now I'm interested: in what way? My only contact with it so far has
> been to switch it off (on my Samsung, so I can dual-boot), and on a new
> i5 motherboard that had it as an option, but I didn't need anything from
> it, so again I switched it off.

Well - I only have experience with my home-build machine based on a DQ77KB
motherboard (Intel) with Ivybridge I3 CPU and Crucial mSATA SSD for the
system drive, plus Crucial M4 SSD for the user areas.

The boot goes fast to the rEFInd boot screen (in a second or so (with a set
of icons to boot from on a lovely graphical pretty screen in nice colour -
my arch icon is a nice Tux penguin on that screen - and that is selected as
the default boot option with a short timeout before it boots. other choices
are different icons on that initial screen and are either uefi shell
binaries or other linux kernels in the /boot directory. rEFInd boots
kernels directly if they are compiled with the UEFI stuff in. It is hard to
know which of the hardware or boot or systemd startup system contributes
most to the fast boot time - but before adding in server daemons it booted
in 2.7 seconds to the login screen (that is according to systemd-analyse
since this system uses systemd and not the old init system).   Once I had
added in postscript, dovecot, chrony, dhcpd and dns servers (nsd and
unbound) plus iptables then the boot time went up to 9.7 seconds!

However I have never before had a machine that booted so fast with a pretty
graphical boot screen (grub2 with plymouth is not anywhere as aesthetically
pleasing to see!) Previously my fastest boot time was about 17 seconds with
a more conventional BIOS/MBR system with spinning disks.

Anyway that is my system where everything was designed towards optimising
the boot process from the outset when I put the hardware together!

Hope that may help?

--
mike c