[YLUG] Linux Voice

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:56:32 UTC 2013

Thank you Philip

Yes this list has been remarkably quiet in recent months!  Thanks for the
heads up - I didn't know about this new venture but nice to see a new linux
magazine.

The only thing about linux printed mags is that it is often a few months
out of date for news by the time each edition is printed, so it will be
nice to see if this new one manages to keep more current.  For many of us
who keep to the cutting edge with linux developments things are changing by
the day really. I use Archlinux these days, so all of my software is always
the latest available which is nice - and none of those awful "re-installs"
every 6 months or every year as I used to have to do when I used Fedora!

There is a real need for much more cutting edge stuff in the magazines too
- for example I built my own fanless small desktop machine about a year
ago, and installed and booted using UEFI instead of legacy BIOS - there has
not been too much advice about that in the magazines that I have seen.
Another example is keeping really up to speed with dual booting for Windows
8 and linux - there is some work and support and advice about doing this
with Secure Boot for Ubuntu - but this is a very new area still.

Another area of real need is where email clients are going in Linux - many
of us use Thunderbird but that has very much reduced developer support and
new releases are mainly security bugfix releases with old long-standing
important bugs never looking like they will be fixed. There are a number of
alternatives but after doing a recent investigation into what is available
only Evolution has anything like as complete a functionality as Thunderbird
- and that needs care to run if you are not using the Gnome desktop. It
would be nice to see magazines cover that topic.

What about desktop developments in Linux - do people still use Gnome very
much after the big debacle with the change to the touchscreen oriented
version?

What about Wayland?  That is getting near to the stage where it will be
possible to run the KDE desktop without X in the coming year - that would
be nice to see covered in the magazines.  There is a huge amount of
information available about the various linux distros and individual
packages in the multitude of wikis which is up to date, and extensive.

The magazines need to give linux beginners as well as the old hands
something really worth getting a subscription for....

Still it will be interesting to see where the new mag goes over the coming
year.

Mike

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Philip Morrell <lists at emorrp1.name> wrote:

> For anyone still listening to this mailing list, thought I'd pass this on:
>
> Linux Voice[1]
> * New magazine by the ex-editors of Linux Format
> * Content published free after 9 months
> * 50% profits fed back into free software and linux
> * Transparent pricing
> * £35 digital only, £50 print+digital subscription until Christmas[2]
> * Podcast
>
> I've really enjoyed my dad's subscription to Linux Format but with most of
> the same editors and the content free online later, I like the prospects
> (the future publishing handling of back-issues is rubbish).
> --
> Philip Morrell
>
> [1] http://www.linuxvoice.com
> [2] http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linux-voice