[YLUG] Auctioning off books, potential bargains!

Charles Turner cht505 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 15:40:23 UTC 2014

Dear YLUG members,

My degree has recently concluded and soon I will be moving to a
humbler abode lacking the space to keep all my books.

Hence, hoping to find a loving home, I am auctioning off the following
items which I think may be of interest to the people reading this
list:

  * The essence of neural networks (Callan)
  * Fundamentals of neural networks (Fausett)
  * Neural computing (Jackson)
  * Introduction to the theory of Neural Computation (Hertz et al)
  * Endless forms most beautiful (Carrol) [useful background for
non-standard comp.]
  * Lisp {3rd ed} (Winston & Horn) [basic, academic intro to Common
Lisp. Nice examples]
  * Programming in Erlang (Armstrong) {1st ed.}
  * Structure and Interpretation of Computer Program [OK, I might
consider giving this away as an act of zealotry, some
marking/highlighting, decent condition]
  * Elements of Information Theory, India edition (Cover & Thomas)
  * Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
(Hopcroft et el) {3rd ed.}
  * Modern compiler implementation in ML, basic techniques (Appel)
  * Discrete Mathematics for Computer Scientists (Truss)
  * Introduction to Linear Algebra {4th ed.} (Strang)
  * Euclid's Elements [you might say WTF, but the reasoning in this
book is still helpful for developing your problem solving skills IMO]
  * AI a modern approach {3rd ed} (Novig & Russel)
  * Fundamentals of Algorithmics (Brassard & Bratley) [quite unknown,
but one of the better intro to algs & ds books out there. nice
examples]
  * ANSI Common Lisp (Graham) [quite bad condition, spine pretty
battered, still readable of course]
  * Programming Language Essentials (Bal & Grune)
  * Coders at Work (Seibel) [Some interesting interviews with famous
programmers]
  * The TeXbook (Knuth) [While you might not use TeX much, this book
has a lot of valuable information about typesetting /style/, and
Knuth's typical humour.]
  * Calendical Calculations (Dershowitz & Reingold) [More than you
ever wanted to know about calendars and their calculation. Helpful to
illuminate some of the darker corners of locale APIs though]
  * Multithreaded Programming with Pthreads (Lewis & Berg) [Excellent
overview of pthreads and threaded programming in general]
  * The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming (Doets & Eijck)
[Gem of book, you won't be much of a Haskell programmer after this,
but it's exposition of logic in particular is very neat.]
  * How To Design Programs (Fellesian et al).
  * A practical introduction to electronic circuits.
  * The Art of Computer Programming vols 1-3 box set (Amazon link:
http://goo.gl/3XhrnK) [This is in very good condition on account of my
not being able to make sense of it! I'm willing to do a deal b.c it's
so heavy, but I expect something reasonably close to the "used" price
on Amazon]
  * The Boost C++ Libraries (Schaling)
  * Graphics Programming Black Book (Abrash) [does not contain the CD
unfortunately]

If people are interested, please let me know. I have to travel from
Harrogate to York, so while not completely necessary, I would prefer
to deliver the books in a batch, rather than on an individual basis.

Thanks!
Charles Turner, formerly of the computer science dept. @ UoY.