[Bradford] Email client advice

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 14:02:11 UTC 2008

Hi

I find Thunderbird still the best for working with Google Mail/calendar.
Evolution does not seem as slick or quick (but way better than outlook !)
with GMail IMAP and its calendar not better/worse than Thunderbird's.

FYI there are 2 plugins for syncing contacts:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/6095 (which I have not
tried)
and
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/7307 (which I have
managed to do an initial sync successfully with)

Whilst searching for the link for the above I came across:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/6381 (which I have not
tried).

I use IMAP and use a combination of the following for my settings:

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/turn-thunderbird-into-the-ultimate-gmail-imap-client-314574.php
and
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892 (noting the
additional steps).

For GPG I use Enigmail:
I have successfully configured this and sent test emails with it.

On top of this I have a rule in thunderbird to move any message that is NOT
unread and older than 30 days to the archive to keep the size of my inbox
reasonable (which helps performance) and does not make it too painful to be
able to download the inbox for off line use.

I hope this information is a help.

Cheers, Nick