[Bradford] UK Banks and Linux

Alice Kaerast kaerast at qvox.org
Sun Apr 18 14:46:27 UTC 2010

The card readers that Natwest (and most banks?)  supply aren't something
that plug into your computer.  It's something that interfaces with Chip
and Pin.  The website gives you a code, you enter that into the reader,
and it returns you a different code (effectively signed with your card).

You can use a computer-based system, with the Python scripts and usb card
reader.  But there's no point - other than to demonstrate how the system
works and possibly to know you're using an entirely clean system (my usb
smartcard reader had a nice transparent case so you could see there were
no added chips).

On Sun, April 18, 2010 3:29 pm, Dick Thomas wrote:
> Hmmmm the smart card reader could be an issue as other then. Vm maches I
> don't have a Windows machine
>
> On 18 Apr 2010 15:00, "Colin Spiller" <colin at thespillers.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Dick
>
> I haven't had much difficulty with my web banking using UBUNTU 9.04 Jaunty
> and Firefox or Chrome. Several banks say it's unsupported but seems to
> work
> OK.
>
> Not sure what it says about me, but I currently use A&L, Halifax, Smile,
> Royal Bank of Scotland (same group as NatWest. Alice: my id no is my birth
> date plus FOUR numbers!) and Abbey. Have used Unity Trust in the past,
> too.
>
> I've no experience of smart card readers.
>
> Colin
>

> Dick Thomas wrote:
>

>> > I'm thinking of moving my banking from Abbey/Santander to another bank
>> I'm thinking Natwest or b...

Alice Kærast