[Bradford] Green light for trial of Conference Call facility.

Brian bradlug at leafcom.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 11:17:13 UTC 2010

I agree that this system is not ideal but it does mean that people who are out and about do have the opportunity to contact via mobile phone, possibly just briefly.
To give you a bit of background of my experience with a similar regime....
When I was at Uni I was on the exec of the Radio club and built up membership to over 30. Nearly all members eventually held and Amateur Radio licence (which was at the level now classed as 'full'). On pub nights we would arranged a 'sked' for 21:00. Some people just had fixed stations whilst others had portable. Granted no one was commuting but it always worked out very well for our purposes considering there was no such thing as mobile phones.
I don't have any objection to making this public if it is found that there is a need to do this. However, I do have experience, in a group I was running, where some kids would keep ringing me. I wasn't too concerned because the number was very expensive to call and it wasn't long before a parent, receiving an enormous bill, called me. Then it all ceased. With a local number there is no such economic brake.
As I say, we could give 'public' a try if need be. If it fails then I can change the number.

An purely Internet solution is no good unless you have internet access and many don't have this on their mobile phones.
I have an idea for an alternative system using SMS but it will require a lot of research and that takes time. Meanwhile I think this is a good standby and it does have the advantage of interaction. On a cold winter's night a conference call might prove a good alternative to going to the pub. Certainly, in Amateur Radio some are known to be having a pint together whilst communicating on the radio.

Brian