[Bradford] Arduino 101

Nigel Smith billing at bradlug.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 16:31:35 UTC 2011

I'm currently in talks with a supplier to get a discount on Arduino for the
day, if I could get a rough idea of interest, that would help, currently I'm
working on approximately 10, but if you could reply and show your interest
that would be better.

I think that targeting this day at a level anywhere above total beginner
would be disadvantageous, I'm at the stage now where I'm putting together
some course materials and will be able to provide a workbook/handouts and a
slideshow/talk to explain exactly what Ardunio are and how and what they may
be used for.

There will be a number of basic programming tasks, anyone with the smallest
amount of experience with C will have no problems, for those without any
prior programming experience, I'll be explaining the basics and show you how
to do it through worked examples.

I shall be explaining my experiences with control engineering and different
types of sensors along with a warning that you shouldn't really be using
Arduino for any safety/health critical projects, other than that, anything
goes.

Ultimately I can see this as a recurring workshop, moving on through more
advanced projects as people find their feet.

There are likely to be small costs involved in the day, would anybody be
interested in sposorship? If so please get in touch, privately if you'd
prefer, and I can explain what the costs are likely to be.

I'd like everybody that attends the day to leave with a Arduino and a good
understanding of how to get by on their own, I'll make some more worksheets
for people to take away with them, and point people in the direction of a
whole wealth of self help material.

Soldering on the day is unlikely, we don't know what CVS's policies are with
regard to this as yet (if that's where we hold it), but I shall endeavour to
find out.

I hope that answers a few questions for now, once numbers are in I'll
organise the date, given that it's only a few weeks until March, it may be
that we have to re-coordinate a more suitable date.

I expect we'll make this last a full day and arrange some food, I'll need to
speak to a few people first though, but I feel that if we're to do this, we
should do it properly.

Thanks,

Nige