[Bradford] chkrootkit and nasties found

Alice Kærast kaerast at computergentle.com
Wed Oct 5 22:02:12 UTC 2011

Dotfiles like those are to be found all over a modern Linux distro. The key
is comparing the results to a known clean install. That's not to say they're
all ok just because they're known about, you then have to check what's
inside them is legit.

A better option is running something like Tripwire which will detect changes
to key files based on hash sums and modified times. But you need to know
your system is clean to begin with.

Run your rootkit finder from a live CD, sort out any results (most will be
false positives), go through the hardening procedures for your distro
(Debian has a nice package which will help you - can't remember the name),
then get tripwire running.

Alice

Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.