[Bradford] Ubuntu Spyware: What to do?

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Mon Dec 31 16:54:47 UTC 2012

The so-called spyware is in the Unity dash. implicit in this is that it is only in Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu but with GNOME 3 so I don't get anything like that. Personally I think that Canonical just handled the Amazon thing badly. They have been told about it and you can disable it in the settings. Currently it disables all Unity searches when you do this. I think that they should have just put an Amazon icon on the menu and left it at that. I don't blame Canonical for trying to make some money. Mark must have spent a shed-load of dosh on Ubuntu so far. Now there is a request for a donation when downloading Ubuntu. I don't blame them for trying to make some money but they handled it badly. I disagree with some of the stuff that RMS comes out with. If you saw the interview on the Linux Action Show you'd probably see what I mean. Some of his ideas are impractical in the real world where people have to put food on the table.
Brian