[Bradford] Viewing Files on Linux from an Android phone

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Wed Nov 14 00:51:15 UTC 2012

This may prove useful for some people. I found that I couldn't access files, on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Android Phone (JellyBean), from my desktop computer (Ubuntu 12.04 running GNOME 3). I could see the directories but no files. To cut a long story short it is all about incompatibility with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). So, Nautilus was useless. I found an application in the Ubuntu Software Centre called gMTP. Connect your phone, launch gMTP and click connect... looks disappointing at first because it appears not to work - but just wait, it takes a while. Then a box comes up where you can choose 'Phone' or Card. If you want to switch options later disconnect and then reconnect - and wait again. Although it is geared up for music it deals with all file types.