[Bradford] Viewing Files on Linux from an Android phone

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Wed Nov 14 12:41:08 UTC 2012

________________________________
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 12:08 +0000, Alice Kaerast wrote:
> On 14 November 2012 00:53, Brian <bradlug at techchico.org.uk> wrote:
> > This may prove useful for some people. I found that I couldn't access files,
> > on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Android Phone (JellyBean), from my desktop computer
>
> Whenever I plug my Wildfire S into a computer I get asked what I want
> to use it as (on the phone).  If I choose disk drive then it works
> flawlessly on both Windows and Linux.  Has something changed in recent
> versions of Android, or is this Galaxy-specific?  Or are you choosing
> something other than disk drive when plugging in?

There has been a thread on the openSUSE forums about the Galaxy S3
vendor and product IDs not being in the udev files. So it may simply be
a matter of opening the relevant udev rule and adding it.

That's interesting John. Some Googling brought me to:-

1. Bug 903422 posted for Ubuntu in October 2012.

2. January 2012. Connecting Samsung ICS to Ubuntu using MTP.
http://shkspr.mobi/blog/2012/01/connecting-samsung-ics-to-ubuntu-using-mtp/
or
http://tinyurl.com/bqmulp6

3. December 2011. [How to] Connect your Android Ice Cream Sandwich Phone to Ubuntu for File Access
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access
or
http://tinyurl.com/cujexqp

So, any comments anyone on the procedure/validity (2) and/or (3) above?