[Bradford] Training and Certificates

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Thu Apr 25 20:32:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

I rarely see anybody discussing their LPI certification, and I never see it
as a requirement on any of the job adverts I'm constantly being sent.
 However, it is still a good course which covers the sort of things
somebody with a few years experience should have no problems in
understanding.  It's pretty cheap too from memory.  There's an Ubuntu
certification which is based on the LPI but I know nothing about it other
than it exists.  In Redhat world you want a RHCE certification which does
hold some weight in job applications, but it covers mostly Redhat-specific
tools which may not be of interest to you unless you're using them.

Does your budget cover conferences too?  They're often far more useful than
instructor-led certified courses.  DevOps Days, SPA Conference, Agile On
The Beach and PHPNW are all highly recommended.

You've not mentioned anything about databases in your list.  Assuming
you're managing your own databases then it's probably worth attending a
conference or getting some training - it makes a big difference in your
ability to make architectural decisions or even decide you're using the
wrong type of datastore.

Jenkins and configuration management tools are really easy to pick up and
probably don't need training - build them around your organisation rather
than building your organisation around one instructor's way of using them.

Regards
Alice