[Bradford] Introduction :-)

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 21:06:28 UTC 2013

Cheers Phil.

Maybe every one could think about introducing themselves on this list. I
speak to many people and don't know much about their backgrounds ?

I am Nick Rhodes. A 35 year old family guy and Software Developer with
15+ years commercial experience, mostly with MS asp.net do web based
business systems. In a few weeks I am swapping departments to be a full
time Linux/PHP/Python dev.

Been a Linux user for around 5 years thanks to the influence of another
long time Linux dev/user that some of you may know, Martyn (/me waves) .
My first exposure to Linux was at Uni where we used a mix of
Linux/Windows and OS9 machines.
My first distro was Slackware, used to install a Quakeworld server for
our Uni house LAN gaming sessions. I use Ubuntu generally as it usually
works the best of the box for what I need.

I have in the past contributed lots code to an obscure PHP CMS project
and a steady flow of bug reports, work arounds and suggested fixes/code
to the various software [projects] I have used from Drupal CMS modules
to Ubuntu udev rules for USB wifi devices. I tend to prefer to help with
support than code (as my day job is coding), helping out on various
forums (generally smaller community ones) and Wiki when I have the time.

Cheers, Nick.