[Bradford] Introduction :-)

Wayne Hanley wayney at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:44:47 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Following on from the other chaps a lot of you know me but for those that
don't, I will hopefully meet some of you at the next LUG but in the mean
time.

I'm Wayne Hanley, I'm a developer working in the HE sector, previously I
have worked as a developer for a range of companies from a couple of ISP
and also freelanced/ran a small business  for around 15 years.  I've been a
member of the LUG since just after it was set up with with Dave, Dick etc.

I do stuff and/or things with code and data front and backend, most it you
will all be familiar to you, I use considerable amount of math that I am
sure you will all be easily able to cope with though if not though I would
happily talk anyone interested enough though anything I do and help where I
can :)

Working with a range of systems and architectures from Windows to Solaris
with a random bit of AIX  thrown in now and again.  I also work with
various languages most random of which recently was a bit of freelance I
did outside my day job getting a payroll system written in ICOBOL up and
running on Windows 8.

I've got close to 20 years of Xenix/Unix/Linux experience though most my
time these days is spent working on Mac since it's easier for me to build
for iOS/Android/Win platforms than it is from Linux.  I don't care really
about distro's on the whole I tend to go for Debian on servers and Ubuntu
on desktop.  I have no strong feelings about desktop environments I tend to
spent my of my time in a Terminal or Sublime Text.  I do quite like unity
however.

I've not been to many meetings for about a year, I dont have any interest
in licensing, or distro politics.  I'm very much interested in the older
culture of exploration and sharing information with each other in a no
exclusive non elitist manner.

Regards

On 2 February 2013 20:13, Dick William Thoams <xpd259 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 19:46 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is my introduction.
> >
> > I am Phil Wyett; 39 year old former soldier and over a decade as a Linux
> user
> > and developer. I have been a developer of the OSS Crystal Space 3D game
> > engine, CEL project for over a decade and still am plus the release
> manager. I
> > have also been a contributing dev to Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Redhat
> for
> > years, plus many upstream projects.
> >
> > My production systems are Kubuntu and for server Ubuntu. If you ask
> nicely,
> > you can get access to my semi public AMD 8x  CPU 32 Gb RAM 4TB SSD
> (kubuntu
> > 12.4.x) system or my AMD 6x 12 Gb RAM 2TB SATA (kubuntu 12.04.x) system.
> >
> > I have some bits to give away (many cpu's ( many single cores and some
> dual
> > and triple cores, over 300 Gb of RAM of varying speeds (16 Gb is Corsair
> DDR 3
> > @ 2000 MHz), new PSU's, etc.) but as I mentioned it on twitter - So Dick
> get
> > first refusal on them (I did say to you I would catalogue it all ;-))-
> it's
> > only right. You all can have what's left. ;-)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Phil
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm Richard (Dick) Thomas I was/am user number 2 :D I was the 2nd person
> at the original lug meeting way back when Dave started it.
>
> I'm not involved in tech in anyway for work related
> before I became ill, I Was a chef and mental health care worker and then
> worked for a bank as a customer support monkey.
>
> I don't know if I'd want to work in IT as it might spoil my enjoyment of
> it but that is something to think about for the future.
>
> I'm a 99.999% full time Linux user, I have a windows partition for one
> game I play that I can't get to run under wine but soon as I've finished
> that it will be removed and added to the main system
>
> My Desktop system is AMD Phenom II X6 64bit, 16GB ram, 8TB RAID 5 system
> running Debian wheezy with a gnome shell desktop with a XFCE desktop for
> when I need something quicker but I don't use it often.
>
> I make videos on youtube about installing Linux/BSD/Other and using
> various FOSS, but I don't do it for any other reason then it passes the
> time, keeps me off the streets and a reason to checkout new projects
> and share my love of FOSS with people
>
> Dick
>

> --
> About.me http://about.me/dick.thomas
> Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk
> G+:   www.google.com/profiles/xpd259
> gpg key: C791809B

http://www.waynehanley.com
Twitter / Identi.ca: @WayneHanley
Web: waynehanley.com

"Good things don’t come to those wait, they come to those that don't
compromise and work their arses off"