[Bradford] Monday's meeting

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Tue Jun 18 09:16:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

A report of yesterday's meeting is now up on the website <
http://www.bradlug.co.uk/june-17th-2013-big-data-and-development-environments/>
and included below.  I'm happy to talk about any of this month's discussion
topics in further detail at future meetings if people are interested in
anything specific.

Alice spoke about how it can be slow and painful setting up development
environments, and gave a brief demo of her Hadoop development environment
[0] which lets anybody deploy a virtual machine with all the necessary
tools in minutes.  She spoke about how this can easily be copied for other
environments using the Vagrant and Chef tools included.  Bats Bash
Automated Testing System [1] was also shown which makes for nice readable
tests.

Discussion then veered off into big data, hadoop, map/reduce and scaling
large systems.  A presentation from the NSA on their use of Hadoop for big
social graphs [2] was shown, as were images of a 33 node beowulf cluster
built with Raspberry Pi [3]. Meanwhile we noted that Obama is checking your
email [4].

[0] https://github.com/kaerast/chef-cdh-pseudocluster
[1] https://github.com/sstephenson/bats
[2] http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/SDI/2013/slides/big_graph_nsa_rd_2013_56002v1.pdf