[Bradford] Re-learning coding

Andrew Coulson coulson.andy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 10:38:14 UTC 2013

Good morning everyone, It's been a while since I made it over to a meeting, but hopefully I will manage to get over again in the New Year. In the meantime I've got a few ideas I'm working on that convince me I need to get back in to doing some coding.  Mostly I'll be tinkering around at the command line to try out different algorithms or ways of dealing with data (eg parsing XML in various ways).  I know I could use shell scripts for some of that, and may well do so, but want to think about taking it further and perhaps using a browser to present the results of whatever I'm doing so I can stay as platform (and OS) agnostic as possible. My programming experience stems from the eighties - BBC Basic, Pascal, some C, but mostly coding in 8 bit microcontrollers based around the 6802.  So I have the fundamentals of conditional loops and such like, but entirely missed out on object orientation and graphical interfaces. Can anyone suggest a good language to update myself with, that could be applied to the ideas above? Also any suggestions of good resources to support the gaps in my knowledge? Thanks for your suggestions, and hopefully see you all after Christmas Andrew Coulson email: coulson.andy at gmail.com | tel: 07834 269850 Ryburn TextWorks - Proofreading, Copy-editing, Writing Ryburn ImageWorks - Landscape and Nature Photography Sent from my IQTELL Virtual Workspace