[Bradford] Re-learning coding

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Sat Nov 16 12:27:41 UTC 2013

As you are wanting to parse XML, makes sense to pick a language that has
good XML support/libraries.

I would add Ruby to Dave's suggestions, Go sounds interesting, but I don't
think it as widespread enough yet (well packaged and track record of
maintenance amongst Linux distros yet).

I can't stress enough how bad PHP is as a first language to learn - its not
so bad if you have a firm background in ANYTHING ELSE first.

I don't see the point of C# or Java in the Unix world - if you need the
performance rewrite JUST THE SLOW BITS in C and take advantage of the
brilliant interop that Ruby and Python has with C and keep the productivity
and maintenance advantages of Ruby/Python.

Python might be better to learn as you can write stuff procedural or OOP,
Ruby is OOP only, which may be better as you have no choice but to write
OOP - depends if you prefer to jump in at the deep end or swim for the
shallow end.

Cheers, Nick