[Bradford] Re-learning coding

David Bolton david at nucleon.co.uk
Sat Nov 16 12:39:55 UTC 2013

As someone who's programming started in the 80's too (ZX81 basic!) and
has mainly used it for mathematical/engineering stuff (hence mostly
various flavours of Basic & some Fortran) , I've also pondered over this
problem.

I've now jumped on the Python bandwagon - and am currently following
this Coursera MOOC:
https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython  Its great fun, and
far better than just learning from a book ;-)

I guess the best language to learn depends on what you intend using it
for, and (say) whether you see it as a route to alternative employment.
I'm viewing it as a hobby activity - and just want to be reasonably
proficient in a modern language that is free, has a wide users-base, and
has plenty of useful library functions/modules.  For me, Python seems to
tick all the boxes. Being an interpreted multi-platform language, it is
also quite popular for FOSS projects (no hidden source code!)

Dave B