[Bradford] Re-learning coding

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Sat Nov 16 12:43:58 UTC 2013

Apologies if you get this twice I didn't mail it properly last time.

My original programming experience was very similar to yours Andrew.
However, I taught myself PHP and I've done a fair bit of Javascript and the
utilised the magic of AJAX. However, I agree with David in that it would be
worth looking at Python. The free, on-line, FullCircleMagazine has some
special editions that are a compilation of Python articles from the
magazine. You could take a look there. The reason why Python might be a
good one is that it is Python that many  Raspberry Pi aficionados appear to
favour for teaching to kids. Personally I am more web inclined and that is
why I like PHP and Javascript - though it is a long time since I programmed
in the latter to any great extent. Whatever you do I think the very best
way to learn is to have a project - i.e. something you want to do that
would bring you an additional service or functionality.

Another thing you might learn is html5. Whilst it might be said that there
isn't so much to learn I found that there is quite a lot of stuff once you
drill down into it and, bear in mind, that Firefox OS uses applications
that are written in html5. If you want to learn html5 then take a look at
the tutorials from Bucky Roberts (a.k.a. TheNewBoston) on YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston.
There are about 50 videos in the series. If you look at his videos, in
general, you'll find that he is a surprisingly multi talented person. His
chemistry 'do not try this at home' videos are amusing.
I find YouTube to be a fantastic resource and I much prefer it to reading
as a method of learning.

Brian