[Bradford] Fwd:20 free print subscriptions

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 4 15:55:34 UTC 2014

Yeah I'd be up for doing something!

Someone I know is vaguely wondering what to do about XP, the concern
being that they've paid for Photoshop and other stuff, and don't want
to be taken to the cleaners all over again, so there is a bit of
public awareness out there.  I think what I would try would be Mint
and Wine.  (Thank goodness they didn't call it Linux Mistletoe).  Big
worries would be backups; carrying forward a decade of files spattered
around the 'c drive' and so forth; and not losing web logins etc.
Doing a nice job doesn't necessarily scale, and that's one of the
worries of a public event.  Some other concerns would be liability,
flakey hardware, and how to look the other way when you find someone's
stash of pr0nz.

It would definitely be good fodder for both the radio and Linux Voice,
which gets us out of most of the worries ;-)

We probably need a guinea pig.

Tarra
-D.