[Bradford] Notes from June Meeting

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Tue Jun 17 18:32:44 UTC 2014

Without our wonderful note taker present, the notes from last night's
meeting are a little lacking.  However they are now up on the website at
http://www.bradlug.co.uk/june-16th-2014-art-encryption-and-aviation/

 We spoke about Leeds Art Crawl, Flight Radar, Truecrypt, and secure VoIP
whilst attempting to install Android on an EePC (and getting slightly
further in doing so than WYLUG).

   - Jitsi <https://jitsi.org/> open source encrypted VoIP
   - Truecrypt <http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/> no-longer supported full
   disk encryption which may or may not be secure
   - Flight Radar 24 <http://www.flightradar24.com/> a network of Mode S
   aircraft trackers around the world
   - Dump 1090 <https://github.com/antirez/dump1090> open source project
   which allows monitoring of aircraft overhead using certain USB TV tuners,
   including military traffic which Flight Radar 24 hides
   - Leeds Art Crawl <http://artcrawl.leedsdatamill.org/welcome> which maps
   public art based on tweets in an effort to fill in the missing records on
   Leeds City Council's public art

Feel free to add more info to the comments or reply here.

Also of note is the recent revelation of the possible hidden message on the
Truecrypt website.  Take the first letter from each word in the first
sentence and you get uti nsa im cu si, which is Latin for "If I wish to use
the NSA".

Regards
Alice