[Bradford] Monday's Meeting - Truecrypt

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 12:13:59 UTC 2014

I've tried ecryptfs (N.B. e cryptfs NOT en cryptfs - easy to misread).

This is a copy of my Tomboy note on cryptkeeper. I was using the 'Ubuntu
GNOME' distro. at that time.
 [ I'm using Mint 17 Cinnamon for my main desktop now, Ubuntu GNOME 14.04
on my Laptop & media computers and Xubuntu on my EEE PC901. - all totally
irrelevant to this message ]

Cryptkeeper
2014-06-02 15:18:33.479

*sudo apt-get install cryptkeeper*
*For the Unity** panel need to also issue this command:-**gsettings set
com.canonical.Unity**.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"*

This a GUI application. Once launched an icon will appear on the top panel.
Bring up the GUI from there.
The GUI is intuitive.
To unmount go to panel and unselect the directory required. Once done the
directory will disappear.

There is an associated directory .*EncrytedDirFileName*_encfs
Thus it can be assumed that Cryptkeeper is a GUI frontend for encfs.

Also, this morning I was listening to a podcast and the 'Linux Unified Key
System' was mentioned. I haven't investigated this at all but it was said
that this could be used as an alternative to Truecrypt.

Brian