[Bradford] Python IDE

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 15:43:24 UTC 2016

As someone who did Python script hacking and app dev for a number of years, I honestly think you are best using a good text editor or a lightweight IDE (such as Vim or Geany). I did try Eclipse, it was slow, offered very little that I could not get from a text editor and often broke and wasted my time too many times.

Geany for example offers code completion, symbol browsing (objects, vars and methods), code folding, folder explorer and a powerful find and replace tool. It does offer inbuilt command and compiler tools, but I preferred to leave a terminal open to run and test and tail my error logs (far more efficient and testable than using a debugger).

Cheers, Nick