[Bradford] I lost me Phone!

Dick Thomas dthomas at speaksthegeek.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 18:14:01 UTC 2020

1st-ly sorry if I've done this mailing list thing wrong.

top/bottom posting, I always get confused.

I have plenty of tin foil, I'm fully stocked.

so I'm a non android  or IOS guy.

In regard to the pinephone, I didn't buy one as ££ and i had bigger plans for my birthday money

but I did buy a ubports compatible phone https://ubports.com/devices/promoted-devices

and I've been using that for 3 weeks now to my wifes horror at the lack of whatsapp.

At first, it was hellish but once I got used to the lack of "apps" and that could easily make a "webapp"

https://open-store.io/ is the app store

if  you have any questions about it the forums are very friendly for ubports.com or I can try answer then

at some point ubports will have an android emulation type affair from what I can gather.

I've not tried it as the phone picked doesn't support it... yet

if you want Googleish there is https://e.foundation/

they were my "gateway OS" to fuller FOSS phone.

and worth checking out.

regards

Dick Thomas

---- On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 18:20:19 +0100 Nick Rhodes via Bradford <bradford at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote ----

Hi

Edward Snowden recommends GrapheneOS - https://grapheneos.org , it
appears to be well supported by Google Pixel phones, you will need to be
able to perform the flashing of a firmware to install GrapheneOS.

For those who possess more tin foil, one should worry about the trust of
the hardware and consider a far more FOSS hardware,  I think the
Pinephone - https://www.pine64.org/pinephone is the only current
example, the hardware seems pretty good, but not being Android based has
much more limited in terms of applications available.

Cheers, Nick