[Bradford] Jitsi ended anonymous video meetings

bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk
Thu Sep 7 10:37:53 UTC 2023

 Firstly, I think we have to rule out 'self hosted' as we tried that at the very beginning and found it to be of poor performance, that is why we switched to the public Jitsi.  I've just looked at Signal and Calyx. Jitsi hasn't been without its problems so I hoped that Signal would be a better choice. I installed the Linux desktop version, I already had it installed on my Android OS phone. It installed OK but then it displayed a QR code to be scanned by a mobile app. Once done it tried to download all my contacts. I didn't like that as I feel that it should have asked me first. However, I must have already blocked it on the phone so it didn't do any transfer of contacts. It seems to be intrusive in that everyone will have to be on my contact list for this to work.Then I tried Calyx. Not much to say really, it's a Jitsi clone.
In addition, I easily found a list of web sites that use Jitsi, though there are others, Websites using Jitsi in the United Kingdom

|  |
Websites using Jitsi in the United Kingdom

Download a list of all websites using Jitsi in the United Kingdom

So, I tried
https://vc.greennet.org.uk

That one didn't even have the 'Join the meeting' button, it just went straight in to a clone Jitsi.

A list of possible servers gives us the possibility of moving servers if one is found to be of low performance.
I haven't tried any other options. Of course we could go commercial and go for Discord. It would have the advantage of possibly attracting others and is likely to perform well as a server.
Some years ago I took a look at http://bigbluebutton.org/   I've just signed up for it again and ventured to the 'Demo' - I think that is probably the public server, it can be self hosted, it is Open Source. If it is possible to use the 'Demo' version then I think this is definitely worth a try. This site is geared up for school use so could offer some good facilities. Maybe someone would like to try it out with me?

Brian