[Chester LUG] Anybody got a small basic notebook they want to sell on, or knows how to convert PhotoShop PSD files to something more manageable?

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 25 22:56:10 UTC 2010

On 25/10/10 22:35, Roger Gibson wrote:
> I'm still waiting for the ideal 'smallish' notebook.  The sort of thing
> to pop in a (big-poachers?) pocket,

My 1995 Butterfly ThinkPad will fit into a poacher's pocket :)

> and man enough to do short sessions
> of document spreadsheet management, as well as Thunderbird and a
> browser.  Unfortunately MS Publisher compatibility is pretty desirable.
> A lap top is just too big to keep carrying on a plane etc, now that hold
> baggage is at a premium, and I pack everything in an acceptable sized bag.

Sony's Vaio P will fit into a jacket pocket or
medium handbag, and packs many pixels into a
small space...

> Until all the 'must haves' come along in one small cost effective box -
> decent screen in daylight, effective keyboard, long battery life, dual
> boot, etc  ... I might wait for ever, but if anyone has an idle one
> lurking that will sort of do, and is willing to part with it for some
> cash, please bring it along on Thursday.  I'll not use it a lot, but
> when I do it will save a big chunk of baggage.

...I won't be around on Thursday, but my Samsung NC10 [1]
has near 5hr battery (8 with bigger battery pack), reasonable
screen and keyboard, dual core, can triple boot MacOS,
GNU and even MS Windows if you need MS Publisher.

> Another question.  Is there an effective way to convert PhotoShop PSD
> files into a more manageable DTP system?  I've been given some brochures
> to update, and the previous author for some reason used Photoshop,
> (massive overkill) and I would like to turn them into a more user
> friendly format, and again Publisher is what folks use.  As long as MS
> effectively give away software to Charities, I'm on a loser trying to
> convince folks otherwise.

I was sent a PSD file last year with 147 layers - as GIMP
and Photoshop don't quite treat them the same, I had rather
an unpleasant time trying to retrieve what the client
needed :-/

As to talking to charities, the boards of governance need
to be educated to effective IT strategy. I hope to resurrect
my IT Strategy courses for VCOs in the new year :-)

 - Richard

[1] A 2nd hand bargain, but worth the money new, too.

--
Richard Smedley      Social Media & Accessible Web for small Orgs
                                      http://GoodGNUs.org/courses

http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley       Sustainable 3rd Sector IT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardsmedley
                                 http://identi.ca/richardsmedley/