[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 11 09:54:01 2002

Managed to find a few minutes for email.

Mike's suggested programme for meetings is OK by me.

I could bring along a PC to play with, either the old 486 or an AMD K6
II, or even both. These both have
APACHE and SAMBA and I would be happy for others to play with the
configurations of these apps.

BTW, Linux Magazine (issue 25/November) has an article on wireless
networking.

I did a trial installation of Mandrake v9 on the laptop.  Initially,
this seemed like a nice friendly distro, but has a bug
which causes it to hang when using 'find'.  According to either Linux
Mag or Linux Forum (can't remember which)
states that there is a problem with supermount (?).  Fairly serious ?

I have just got onto the SuSE email  site (suse-linux-e@suse.com) as I'm
looking for help in setting up my old
laptop.  This site can be very helpful so long as you are ready for 100
or so messages a day.

If anyone on this site can help, the contents of my call for help were:

"
I've set up a Toshiba 480CDT laptop PC (Pentium 233 Mhz / 64 Mb RAM) to
dual
boot SuSE v 8.0 Professional and MS windows 98 via LILO. This now works
works
fine except that the PCMCIA ethernet card card does not initialise on
rebooting
under Linux.

Note: To work under Linux, BIOS setting for card detection must be
changed from
'AUTO' to 'Cardbus....', otherwise PC hangs on 'Starting kernel PCMCIA'

I can set up the ethernet card via YAST (modules 8139too + mii). It then
works
properly. ie can ping local and remote and access my LAN as expected.
The PCMCIA
tick box MUST remain UNTICKED, otherwise the setup does not work.

However, after rebooting, the ethernet card does not initialise. ie
modules are
not loaded and network is not available

A trial installation using Mandrake v9 successfully set up the card and
also
maintained this after rebooting. This also used modules 8139too +mii.
Unfortunately Mandrake has at least one bug in it's setup so I shall
stay with
SuSE (have done since v6.4).

Can anybody tell me exactly what YAST does to set up the card and how  I
should
repeat it on bootup?

P.S. This is first time that I've setup or used a laptop and PCMCIA. On the
desktop, I have three dual booting/networked PCs, and now use Linux
almost 100%
of the time.
"

Regards