[Cumbria] Promoting the LUG

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 16 12:28:00 2002

I tried to drum up interest around Kendal with a couple of flyers in
places like the Library and Information Centre, but didn't get a single
response!

It seems to me that potential members of this LUG need their own
transport. Gleaston Water Mill is a lovely place, but not at the centre
of the universe.
This rules out most younger enthusiasts and I believe will detere many
others  --  especially on a dark / wet night  --  and that's when you
know where it is.

The only reason that most people will 'try' Linux is if they believe
that it will benefit them.  For this reason, software vendors won't
bother (there's more money to be made in flogging MS stuff and they
don't understand Linux or the Linux philosophy anyway).

Users might try Linux if they believe that they will save money, but
have to be convinced that it's good enough to devote time to.  Mostly,
they are concerned that it's 'too techy', or that their documents won't
be MS compatible, or they are games freaks in which case MS is still the
way to go.

To make an impression on Mr & Mrs Average, we would need to actually
show people what it's about and how good it is. I mean actually take it
to them. Perhaps the best chance of doing this to set up stands at local
fairs / shows?  Anyone interested?

To make an impression on small 'professional' users (ie small
businesses, schools, etc) is likely to be more dificult because of their
concerns about security, compatability with existing setups and support.
Yes! I know it's daft using MS Windows 95 as a server, but try to
explain that to a small business.  I've tried that.  Maybe the
suggestion above would also apply here.

Large business establishments employing IT professionals (eg Dave)
already know about Linux.  Perhaps we could advertise the LUG more
widelly to these guys.

I think that a high membership of these guys and their interests in
'big' systems would deter (even frighten off) Mr & Mrs Average, so we
need to think carefully about where we are aiming.

Any other comments on this one?

Regards

Ken Hough