[Cumbria] Promoting the LUG

cumbria@mailman.lug.org.uk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 08:23:00 2002

>> It seems to me that potential members of this LUG need their own
>> transport. Gleaston Water Mill is a lovely place, but not at the centre
>>  of the universe.
>
>That's why I got the mailing list setup and once they website is updated,
we
>will all be able to contribute to that. The meetings are very good, but
the
>'dead' time between them was cutting down on their usefulness. Hopefully
by
>using this list, we can keep the flow going between meetings...
>
>> The only reason that most people will 'try' Linux is if they believe
>> that it will benefit them.  <snip>
>>
>> To make an impression on Mr & Mrs Average, we would need to actually
>> show people what it's about and how good it is. I mean actually take it
>>  to them. Perhaps the best chance of doing this to set up stands at
>> local  fairs / shows?  Anyone interested?
>
>Very good points, and a good suggestion. There's the Linux Install Day (
>http://www.linuxinstallday.org/ ) we could get involved in. There are also
>regular computer fairs - I once went to a one at Chorley that had a Linux
>stand selling burnt copies of disks and generally evangelising it.
>
>> To make an impression on small 'professional' users (ie small
>> businesses, schools, etc) is likely to be more dificult because of
>> their  concerns about security, compatability with existing setups and
>> support.
>
>True as well - I've just been involved with fixing a Linux box for a
school.
>The box hadn't been set up very well, and was being used as an open relay
an
>d proxy. They were prepared to rip the box out and replace it (probably
with
>an MS product), but I've locked it down, convinced them that Linux is
>perfect for the job and hopefully one of the admins from the school is
going
>to sign up to this list...
>
>> Large business establishments employing IT professionals (eg Dave)
>> already know about Linux.
>
>Yes and no. They may know of linux, but they are not prepared to implement
>it. It's normally down to single people evangelising and sneaking systems
in
>that it gains a foothold.

Yep, im going to be doing a presentation to some of the control systems
managers (steve jennings, dave jones...)
on my linux backup system.  I demoed it to martin hope and he thinks i
should make a proposal for the site backup
system (scary!!!!) so now im presenting it to the higher levels.  So
hopefully i'll get it in sometime soon.

Whatever happens i should still be implementing it here in WEP

C YA

Adam