[Cumbria] Re: Cumbria digest, Vol 1 #3 - 1 msg

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 20:15:01 2002

Hello cumbria-request,

crmlou> Hello Cumbira :o)

Who? Is she pretty?

Sorry for late follow up - Got Solaris, will be occupied  :-(

crmlou> To help in the conversion process try this program - gift.sourceforce.net -
crmlou> and put your windows file sharing in the bin.  File sharing is one of the
crmlou> few things i still use windows for, but this program is great and another
crmlou> step to removing windows form my pc

I personally find these 'Napster style' programs useless. I haven't
downloaded and tried 'gift' yet, but I get the impression this is what it's like (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If you require SMB style file sharing with mount points, Samba is the
only way. I look forward to v3 and directory service support.
(see http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/alpha/WHATSNEW.txt , this is taken from uk mirror, i'm surprised at URI too.)

crmlou> (still remaining is DVD backup, video
crmlou> editing/encoding and games).  I think mplayer and k3b (kde cd writer) will
crmlou> fix the first two, but i dont know how far the linux version of UT2003 is,
crmlou> but give me that and i'll bin of windows.

Don't the existing command line tools (cdrecord|dvdrecord) already
available support DVD writing? >Does this help?
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

David Murphy can give you more info regarding UT3. He gets head shot
frequently!