[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 13:04:00 2002

> I like your style.  Nothing like stirring the pot occassionaly!

Don't encourage him!

> I'm still an old DOSer at heart.

Not the best choice of phrase... ;-)

> So far my apps have
> been ternimal types  run via the command line.  Not yet got into GUI
> programming for Linux.

Good, another developer. Someone to bug when I (eventually) get round to
trying some myself. I currently do development under windows, using (amongst
others) Delphi, Perl and Winbatch. Obviously perl is cross-platform, and I
have played around with porting some of my scripts. Delphi has a linux twin
called kylix which I want to try, and I have a C++ book I must get round to
following...

> I even copy and burn CDs from the command line.  Of course, I use GUI
> apps for office type jobs and internet, etc and very good they are
> these  days.

You really are a CLI person, aren't you? I'm surprised you're using the gui
internet apps instead of lynx and pine/mutt... :-)

> I have used SuSE Linux since trying v5.2...

Been said before, but started on Red Hat 5.0, been pretty much loyal to RH
since then but have also tried (in order of usage/preference) Mandrake,
Gentoo, Knoppix, Slackware and SuSE as well a spate of installing everything
that came on the cover of Linux Format/Magazine. I also use OpenBSD. Current
boxes: RH 8.0 (desktop - dual boot w/XP), RH 8.0 (laptop - dual boot w/XP),
RH 8.0 (server) and two RH 7.2 servers. I also have root access to a Cobalt
RAQ3 leased from a hosting company with a 'real' connection to the 'net.

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy