[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 17:51:03 2002

>>I like your style.  Nothing like stirring the pot occassionaly!
>>

>Don't encourage him!

Spoil sport!

>Good, another developer. Someone to bug when I (eventually) get round to
>trying some myself. I currently do development under windows, using (amongst
>others) Delphi, Perl and Winbatch. Obviously perl is cross-platform, and I
>have played around with porting some of my scripts. Delphi has a linux twin
>called kylix which I want to try, and I have a C++ book I must get round to
>following...

I did play a little with Borland C++ Builder under MS Windows and I
reckon it's good. Also tried Kylix (v1 I think) and that also seemed
good, although I'm not a Pascal/Delphi programmer. That also seemed good.

A recent review of Linux Programming IDEs rated Kdevelop as the best for
serious stuff.

>I even copy and burn CDs from the command line.  Of course, I use GUI
>apps for office type jobs and internet, etc and very good they are
>these  days.
>

>You really are a CLI person, aren't you? I'm surprised you're using the gui
>internet apps instead of lynx and pine/mutt... :-)

CLI person I may be, but it's really simpler than any of the GUI apps.
eg for data CDs:

                               readcd  dev=1,0,0 f=/tmp/cdname.raw

                                cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=1,1,0 -data
/tmp/cdname.raw

Now that's not difficult is it?

Note: As I have a SCSI card,  ide-scsi shows as the second (ie number 1)
SCSI channel

Ken Hough