[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise environment?

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 17:51:00 2002

>>Is UnitedLinux the way ahead? Or will this be another 'proprietary'
>>implementation which we will have to pay a royalty (in more ways than
>>one) for?
>>

>UnitedLinux is smaller (in perception) distros taking on a perceived 'enemy'
>i.e. RedHat. It is marketing, pure and simple.

Dave,

I'm not sure you are right there. It seems to me that it's Red Hat who
want things to be done THEIR way  --- typically American!  A bit like
another well known American software co.

>>Sun are contemplating Open Sourcing Solaris. They are working on doing
>>this with Java (oh bliss!). Where will this leave everyone else?
>>

>Jumping back to your comments about GUI's - Sun are going to be using Gnome2
>as the default desktop environment for Solaris 10. That's a lot of weight
>behind Gnome... As an aside, I fired up Konquerer last night to test a web
>page, and I still don't like KDE - I know it is supposed to be a very good
>DE, but it just doesn't 'feel' right to me...

By present global usage of Linux, I wonder if even Sun Inc. can now be
considered as weighty.

I find Konquerer mostly OK, but it does somtimes throw wobblies. Mozilla
is a better and solid (if larger) app for internet work. KDE3 is really
GOOD when you get to know it and feels OK to me. Make sure that you have
tried KDE v3.x.x rather than v1 or v2.

BTW, how do you working guys find time to read/write so often to this
site? My excuse is that I'm retired -- almost!

Ken Hough