[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:52:00 2002

> I'm not sure you are right there. It seems to me that it's Red Hat who
> want things to be done THEIR way  --- typically American!  A bit like
> another well known American software co.

Red Hat != Microsoft. Red Hat open source and GPL their software. Red Hat
gives away (most of) their stuff. Red Hat do not want everything done their
way - they simply do their own thing their own way. They can't be that bad
as they are one of the most recognised distributions, and due to the nature
of the linux community, they wouldn't have been allowed to grow if they had
been tring 'bad' tactics - look at the reception lindows got...

My initial impression of UnitedLinux (based on their pre-launch marketing
spiel) was that the various mamber distros felt RH had too big a slice of
the pie, and if they couldn't get some by themselves, then they could
together.
> By present global usage of Linux, I wonder if even Sun Inc. can now be
> considered as weighty.

Java still has alot of followers, and Solaris is still preferred in the
enterprise - why do you think IBM and the others are pushing Linux?

> I find Konquerer mostly OK, but it does somtimes throw wobblies.
> Mozilla  is a better and solid (if larger) app for internet work. KDE3
> is really  GOOD when you get to know it and feels OK to me. Make sure
> that you have  tried KDE v3.x.x rather than v1 or v2.

I've KDE 3.0.3 (default with RH 8.0). I'm using it exclusively (since
yesterday) on my laptop as an experiment, and for all the RH-haters out
there I've disabled the RH theme and am using it more like KDE intended...

> BTW, how do you working guys find time to read/write so often to this
> site? My excuse is that I'm retired -- almost!

Work supplied internet connection and webmail (you'll notice the
'SquirrelMail' in most of my headers...

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy