[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 12:07:00 2002

> I did play a little with Borland C++ Builder under MS Windows and I
> reckon it's good. Also tried Kylix (v1 I think) and that also seemed
> good, although I'm not a Pascal/Delphi programmer. That also seemed
> good.
>
> A recent review of Linux Programming IDEs rated Kdevelop as the best
> for  serious stuff.
>
> CLI person I may be, but it's really simpler than any of the GUI apps.

I agree - I always have at least a couple of terminals open - even on
windows. Some local, some remote (even from windows, thanks to PuTTY).
Personally, I don't like using the GUI tools unless I know how the CLI tools
work (a habit picked up from my foray into OpenBSD where the GUI was
secondary) - see my previous complaints about RPM - until I hit that problem
I always 'cheated' and used the GUI RPM tools because I thought they were
easier. I spent a small amount of time reading and now do most RPM work via
the CLI. I even prefer vi (VIM really) over some of the GUI editors, simply
because I can rely on it being there when I SSH into boxes. I also make a
habit of using similar tools under windows - I have GVIM, a bunch of unix
command line tools (ls, tar, gzip etc.), lynx, gnupg and even nethack
carried round in a zip file ready to dump onto any windows machine I am
going to be using. I must get round to getting one of those USB keydrives -
it would make life easier...

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy