Re[2]: [Cumbria] Mandrake 9.1

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Apr 12 21:24:02 2003

Hello Luke,

Saturday, April 12, 2003, 6:06:58 PM, you wrote:

> On that note I've been running 9.0 since it come out only problem was I
> had to re-tweek my XF86Config for my fonts to look correct in the FluxBox
> Menu's.

> I updated both systems without a problem, in a week or so I'll be
> performing a remote upgrade from Slackware 8.1 to 9.0 on 7 boxen!

Good luck.

I've never been a fan of such upgrades. For me, they never seem to run
perfectly. Especially when virtually every package, library, etc. is
involved. It just seems to be asking for trouble. :-(

I see it like Win3.11->Grim95 upgrades, or NT3.51->4. Never a pretty
sight, and usually ends in tears.

I usually to a FULL backup (tar is your friend), take the opportunity
to rethink my partitioning and do a clean install, then restore my
data.

OK, it is not very quick or convenient. But the systems are quick,
stable and reliable. I sleep at night. :-)

--
Best regards,
Ian          mailto:ian@darksideofthemoon.org.uk