Re[2]: [Cumbria] Mandrake 9.1

Luke Antins cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Apr 12 21:56:01 2003

Eve.

> Good luck.

Thanks but I have high hopes after doing it successfully to 3 vmware setups.

> I've never been a fan of such upgrades. For me, they never seem to run
> perfectly. Especially when virtually every package, library, etc. is
> involved. It just seems to be asking for trouble. :-(

Were talking about slackware here! Not RedHat :) (waits for the flames)

A full upgrade is very simple, if you have a lot of software compiled from
source you will have to recompile it with the new glibc but thats about
it. Any how you should be making slack packs of every thing ;) so just run
your slack.build scripts again <grin>.

Take a look at the upgrade information, it tells you how to do a full upgrade:
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/UPGRADE.TXT

> I see it like Win3.11->Grim95 upgrades, or NT3.51->4. Never a pretty
> sight, and usually ends in tears.

Take a look at the file and you will think otherwise :)

> I usually to a FULL backup (tar is your friend), take the opportunity
> to rethink my partitioning and do a clean install, then restore my
> data.

Always recommended before doing a big upgrade!
rsync is also your friend :)

> OK, it is not very quick or convenient. But the systems are quick,
> stable and reliable. I sleep at night. :-)

:)

--
Kind Regards
Luke Antins