[Cumbria] Daft Question

cumbria@mailman.lug.org.uk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 12:17:01 2003

mat@schwuk.com wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> As this groups token novice I felt you'd been deprived of being asked a
> daft question for a while so thought I would take it upon myself in your
> best interests....so here goes:-
>

> I've noticed when I go into X-Windows there are icons on my desktop for
> the local vfat drives, but not for the smb shares in my /etc/fstab. I
> think I'm using gnome (Dave, help?!?) as my GUI.

Well, you could be using KDE but hey, don't sweat it. A Desktop entry doesn't have anything to do with /etc/fstab open a shell in your home directory and type 'ls -al' there should be a .Desktop directory, inside are little files which represent things on your desktop, a little fiddling and hey presto, you can twesk these text files to do anything no matter how strange (like reading windows directories)

> How and why? How do I get the SMB shares to place icons on the desktop?
>
> So that was it, marvel at the audacity and I await your responses (<mat
> hunkers down behind something solid wearing a kevlar helmet>).
>
> And before those of you who know me ask....no I haven't been drinking, and
> no I couldn't do with one. This is the result of spending all weekend
> playing Neverwinter Nights.
>
> Muchos gracias
>
> Mat

Mat Go for it, have that drink ! A nice long pint, or quick short, you know you want to.

> P.s. You'll be horrified to learn this was sent from Windoze, for some
> inexplicable reason every time I try to send mail from Mozilla now it puts
> my CPU usage to 95% and the memory allocated to Mozilla just increases
> constantly until there's none left and everything hangs! :'(
> I've never known a mail application use 600+ Mb of RAM before :p

Mat , I'm horrified  !!!!