[cumbria_lug] Projects...

russ at jenruss.plus.com russ at jenruss.plus.com
Fri Dec 12 13:26:42 GMT 2003

>I think that a custom CMS would be a great project we seem to have quite
>a few people in the LUG who are php/perl/asp etc programmers so we could
>all get involved in some way.

True, but I imagine we also have some non-programmers.

>We also seem to want to get some newbies involved in the LUG and to
>evangelise to the Windoze users. How about producing some documentation
>on various things to do with Linux. I am writing a very simple guide on
>how to run a linux server in a small business environment using SSH and
>Webmin to manage the server. I am very impressed with how the server we
>have at work. It is so easy to manage even though I only know a small
>amount about linux.

I really like this idea. I've done a document detailing the differences I've found between OpenOffice.org & MS Office, for those moving from MS Office to OOo (HTML version is at http://www.jenruss.plus.com/russ/Office-OOo.html). It's a work in progress: I add things as & when I find them.

It would be nice to have some newbie-friendly documentation, especially if we could add a 'library' to the web site. The less experienced members might be willing to proof-read these docs, and tell us when we get too technical.

Russ