[cumbria_lug] Microsoft poster

Roger Cope roger.cope at morphaniel.com
Sat Dec 27 16:37:35 GMT 2003

Microsoft recently phoned me at work in a similar vein and were receptive to
the criticisms that I made of them (which, in the corporate context in which
I work, were that their technology is fine but their insistence on forced
upgrades and ever changing licensing schemes would one day mean we will look
elsewhere).

Refusing to talk to Microsoft doesn't get anyone anywhere. A Microsoft
branded Office for Linux is never going to get released if Microsoft gets
screamed at every time it approaches the so called 'community'. We don't
deserve to be called a 'community' if we are not respectful and approachable
to people and organisations that have opposing views.

And, as witnessed by the recent Novell/SUSE purchase, what Microsoft did
yesterday and what it is doing today cannot be relied upon to predict what
it will do tomorrow. Personally, if Microsoft buys RedHat, releases Office
for Linux and then turns it's considerable firepower on SCO and wipes it out
I will not be unhappy.

Nothing is impossible (and it's Christmas...!)

Roger