[cumbria_lug] Microsoft poster

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 17:30:30 GMT 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Roger Cope wrote:

> We don't deserve to be called a 'community' if we are not respectful
> and approachable to people and organisations that have opposing
> views.

You're right, but there's only so much cheek-turning we can do. Had
Microsoft been really friendly, approachable and helpful then yep, it
_would_ be childish for a community to disrespect and mock them. But
after their actions, there's no reason we should go out of our way to
help them. They're putting a lot of effort and money into discrediting
and FUDing a community project, so we have no reason to be "nice".

Also, when[1] Microsoft releases Linux Office I don't think we should
suddenly start praising them -- it's just a business move. Doesn't
mean they want to help the community all of a sudden...

[1] When, not if, I reckon. Office and Windows are the only two
franchises Microsoft makes any real profit from, and as Linux
continues to boom their shareholders are going to be asking questions.
It'll be crippled, while the Windows version will offer more
functionality, but they'll do it -- they can either hold-tight and
lose marketshare to OpenOffice.org or grab a piece of the action for
the future.

> Personally, if Microsoft buys RedHat, releases Office for Linux and
> then turns it's considerable firepower on SCO

Hah! It would be great to see SCO smashed to smithereens, but OTOH
(and though it's not exciting) part of me wants to see this slowly,
clearly and conclusively solved in court. It'll set us up better for
the future, and makes us stronger than if IBM had just bought 'em out.

A slightly late "Happy Xmas" to all!

Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk