[cumbria_lug] Use for an old 486 laptop?

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 11:57:07 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Trevor Pearson wrote:

> If it is possesed of sound put it in your living room and use it as
> a 'player' download 'ogg' or 'mp3' from elsewhere and play.

Nah, no sound I'm afraid. Also, I'm not sure if a 25 MHz 486 could
play MP3s -- after much tweaking I convinced my old P75 to play them
downsampled with a hellishly optimised kernel and 'mp3blaster' binary,
but it still used up about 80-90% CPU.

Now, MOD files on the other hand... Together with that kernel driver
to use the PC speaker as a fully-fledged sound device...

...And you have noise pollution officials paying a visit.

Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk